For some reason this memory popped into my head today.
My high school American Literature teacher had us read the Robert Frost Poem "The Road Not Taken" when we seniors. I had read the poem before, but he asked us afterwards, "Why would an author write an entire poem about the road he didn't take?" I raised my hand, and said, "I thought he was writing the poem about the road he decided to take that day - the road not taken by everyone else." I thought he chose to take the road not normally taken. I had never thought of it as being a poem about the road he didn't take. But I guess that is the beauty of poetry - you can interpret it any way you want. It is personal like that - much like art. The artist and the writer have what they believe is the meaning, but everyone has their own experience with it.
What did you think when you read the poem?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You were right, he did take the road less taken. That is what made all the difference.
Post a Comment